The JSA programme is part of MOE's provision for primary school students with higher abilities in the physical domain. It provides opportunities for these students to discover their sporting strength and passion.
Subsequently, they can pursue a sport with more targeted support from relevant sports organisations from secondary school onwards.
How it works:
- Participation in the JSA programme is by selection only.
- Your child can be nominated for the selection trial by you or their teachers.
- Nominations must be done through your child’s school.
- The programme will be conducted from Semester 2 of Primary 4 to Semester 1 of Primary 6.
To find out more, please click here.
1. Who is ‘I LIKE’ developed for?
‘I LIKE’ is developed for children aged 6-12 years old.
2. What is ‘I LIKE’?
‘I LIKE’ is a questionnaire (for your child) that would bring him/her through 18 different movements. Your child will be asked to rate how much they enjoy the movement.
3. What is the purpose of ‘I LIKE’ and how does it work?
‘I LIKE’ helps your child identify their sports based on their preferred movement patterns (e.g. catching, throwing) or preferences (e.g. indoor/outdoor, contact/non-contact sports).
4. Do I need to pay to use ‘I LIKE’?
Usage of ‘I LIKE’ is free when your child logs in with his/her assigned User Name (e.g. 123A) and Date of Birth (e.g. 04/25/2008; MM/DD/YYYY format).
5. What are the range of sports ‘I LIKE’ recommends in the results page?
The range of sports includes: Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Combat Sports, Fencing, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Hockey, Kayak, Netball, Rugby, Sailing, Shooting, Softball, Swimming, Table Tennis, Tennis, Volleyball and Water Polo.
6. Is ‘I LIKE’ reliable?
‘I LIKE’ is developed by NYSI in collaboration with Ghent University. It is formulated based on coaches’ opinions on how important these movement patterns are with regard to their respective sport. These findings are based on scientific research practices, and the works have been published by Ghent University.
7. How does ‘I LIKE’ benefit my child?
‘I LIKE’ allows your child to understand the range of sports he/she may be better at. This may encourage your child to try a variety of sports that he/she might otherwise not have attempted.
8. Why is ‘I LIKE’ important for my child?
Understanding your child’s sporting interest will help you and your child choose a suitable sport. It is also more likely for your child to pursue excellence in the sport that he/she enjoys.
9. Do the results of ‘I LIKE’ mean my child will excel in the sport?
‘I LIKE’ does not guarantee your child will excel in the sport but will help your child discover his/her interests. If your child already plays a sport, ‘I LIKE’ provides alternatives that your child might try to give him a beneficial multi-sport exposure.
10. Is ‘I LIKE’ confidential? What happens to the test results and the children’s data?
Each child’s test results are stored in a secured digital platform that is managed by NYSI. Data collected from test results are confidential. Only MOE and NYSI personnel have access to the data.
11. My child would love to participate in the sports recommended by ‘I LIKE’. However, my child’s school does not offer them. Where can I find opportunities to participate?
You may find opportunities to participate from the respective National Sports Associations and ActiveSG.
|Sport||Programme Type(s) | Age Group||Weblink|
|Athletics||ActiveSG Athletics Academy|
|Badminton||Singapore Badminton Association|
|Basketball||ActiveSG Basketball Academy|
|Bowling||Singapore Bowling Federation|
|Canoe||ActiveSG Canoe Academy|
|Flying Disc||ActiveSG Flying Disc|
|Football||ActiveSG Football Academy|
|Golf||Singapore Golf Association|
|Hockey||ActiveSG Hockey Academy|
|Martial Arts||ActiveSG Martial Arts Club|
|Table Tennis||Singapore Table Tennis Association|
|Tennis||ActiveSG Tennis Academy|
|Volleyball||ActiveSG Volleyball Academy|
|Water Polo||ActiveSG Water Polo Academy|
12. Who can I contact to enquire more about this?
For further queries, please forward your questions to email@example.com